Problems when developing panel plugin

After a few frustrating attempts I thought to write about my experiences here and I hope you can advise me.

Very often I get an error

Panel plugin with id ... could not be found

even though everything seems to be in order and is often a preexisting plugin with just a changed id. I also tried compiling it, even though it should work if src folder is present, if I understand correctly. Still the same error without any explanation.

I tried just adding an option to the existing plugin and changes to the module.html were picked up, changes to the options html however, were not.
I tried restarting grafana server, clearing browser cache, updating plugin version in plugin.json,… but nothing worked.

Thank you for your input.